On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 07:04:48PM +0000, John Long wrote:
> > so you cater to people who have no idea, and cannot be bothered.
>
> Which is probably 99.9% of everybody in corp. offices worldwide.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for HTML support in mutt. HTML
> has absolutely no place in email.

Sadly, the masses have decided this for us, and this opinion has lost
the battle.  And TBH while I mostly sympathize, using underlining,
bold, and italics in type have been common for emphasis and similar
purposes for centuries.  And color more recently, but certainly
decades.  It would be nice to be able to make use of these instead of
relying on ASCII art to attempt to convey them.  And before someone
brings up RTF, just... no.

> But I do understand the problem very well after doing some
> contracting for big corporations and realizing 100s of millions of
> Windows victims can barely use a computer at all and email is just
> the tip of the iceberg.
>
> My solution is to use something other than mutt in those cases. There
> is no way to win...

TBH most of the time, if I really need to see what's in an HTML mail,
I just bounce it to gmail.  But sometimes that doesn't work either due
to DNS-based spam prevention.

I'm well aware there are "solutions" to this problem.  I've used them
all.  They all suck (fail to handle some edge case very well or at
all).

-=-=-=-=-