On Wednesday 16 February 2005 10:03, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
I've got an NVidia card (MX-400) with such a
horrendously crappy tvout chip on it, the most I ever see is 240
lines.
The chip just plain blows chunks.

Cory, just curious, what TV encoder chip does your Nvidia card use? My old LeadTek GF4MX-420 card used an NV17 TV encoder and the output was beautiful. That card has since died and I'm now using the onboard GF4MX-440 from my Chaintech 7NIF-2 nForce2 boards, which uses an NV18 TV encoder, and, to quote you, it simply "blows chunks". You're about the only other person I've ever heard speak of Nvidia TV-out that way, so I was just wondering if you also had the newer chip.

I thought I'd be clever and get the VIVO one (this was 3 years ago). It uses the SAA7108, which from the datasheet is limited to 288 lines IIRC. I've actually talked with an NVIDIA engineering guy who explained how some of the newer ones work. They sound *much* better... and go to a more hard-coded tvout when using an appropriate size (e.g. 720x480)

-Cory