yes i saw the ROC. my main reason for loosely interpreting the max ratings
and going with something within that range was to reduce components (for
level shifting and what not).  I imagine the better way for me to interpret
is to think that the closer I get to the MAX ratings the more likely it
could fail.
I think for my next clock with these chips I'll get closer to ROC and do
things "right".  but for now i'm a few volts within the MAX ratings so
hopefully all is good and things continue working OK.  This is, as you
mentioned, for home use so I don't have to worry too much if it fails.

this clock in question is here

https://hackaday.io/project/46429-nixie-clock-3

I do have room for the additional components to get things to ROC but
didn't at the time think it necessary.   However theres always NEXT TIME !
:)

thanks for the info... very helpful!