Nick, note that the 3.4W are "absolute maximum" which usually means the part is
going to die if you go over that.

The part it self needs only 5V@25mA (when switching) plus the losses of the hv
switches.

In a nixie clock i guess there are always only 3 outputs on per chip.

I use the plcc 5122 which only has 1.2W heat dispatch and it doesnt get warm or
so at all.

A crude way to solder the center pad is placing a hole under the chip and then
solder it that way, but i'll give my planned board to a friend who has a
soldering machine at work :)