My biggest issues with eBay in the past were not receiving and item though
it was a rare occurrence. I would contact eBay and they would tell me to
contact PayPal. Contacted PayPal and they would tell me to contact eBay.
One big circle j__k. Since the amounts had been under USD$10, I just wrote
it off. But it has always made me very leery of buying anything on eBay
though I have not had any issues for many years. When I first opened my
PayPal account, I too worried about them having my checking account. In the
end, I opened a second checking account at a different bank right near me
where I already had a savings account. I keep very little money in the
account as I can easily transfer money from savings to checking as needed
(I think back to when I was kid in the 1960's and my father would drive to
the savings bank, take out money and then drive to the commercial bank to
put it in the checking account - glad that is a thing of the past). As
such, there is very little PayPal, or now eBay, can take from me if they
are hacked or just decide they want some money for some reason.