In relation to Holly Herndon, " “AI most likely won’t replace musicians
outright,” Herndon wrote. “Sentient AI is a fantasy that I think sometimes
distracts (often intentionally) from the political economic things that are
happening around the tech at the moment.” Herndon went on to discuss the
use of automated music systems to make stock music, how drum machines were
inspired by the work of great drummers, the role of automated tools in the
creation of music, the ethics of using an artificial “disembodied
representation of an artist,” and much more."

What disgusts me about this is that music is so much the presence of the
musician, performer; this is critical in, for example, Indian and Arabic
musics, Jazz, etc. This sounds so white/privileged to me, the position of
the listener paramount for example, the relegation of community to
reproduction, etc. It's a form of hip effacement. I realize I haven't read
everything HH's has written, but there's a fundamental difference between a
drum machine and a "great drummer" who came from community, breathes within
community, and contributes to community. Thinking for example of free jazz,
and the difficulties and explorations of the great players, the relation of
that music to the cry, the field holler, the blues, gospel musics, etc. -
and I keep returning to white white white white white and privilege.

Apologies, Alan, I shouldn't send this out, but watching too many musicians
suffer, some of the greatest homeless, and this comes across bad surface.