On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 2:58 AM, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:

> Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:
> >
> > > On 28 Jul 2015, at 11:42, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I don't agree that this is a problem.  If i2rs defines an extension,
> > > then i2rs implementations will have to support that extension.  This
> > > is the whole idea behind extensions - we should not have to revise
> > > YANG everytime we need a new statement.
> > >

> > Yes, it could work in this case as long as modules containing this
> > extension are never advertised to regular NETCONF/RESTCONF clients.
>
> I think it would.  Such nodes would just be seen as config false
> nodes.

I do not agree that YANG extensions are appropriate for defining standard
protocols.
They are fine for extra tools outside the scope of any protocol.
The "get filter" hack in RFC 6241 does not even work since
any tool is allowed to ignore the extension.

The solution proposed by I2RS changed the config-stmt.
IMO this is a better solution than defining an extension
that every YANG tool MAY ignore.

Ephemeral data can be defined in any YANG module,
not in special hack modules that are not allowed to be shared
by NETCONF or RESTCONF in any way,
That would be a terrible solution for ephemeral data.