Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:34:39 -200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Character conversion

Hello.

On 2000-02-20 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

 ha>You write with *your* editor which uses *your* charset.
 ha>(Though if you do not want to send it like that, you could indeed
 ha>pass it through ReRead to remap the whole set and send the output
 ha>copy as mailout.)

 Can this be automated?

 ha>Nettamer for
 ha>instance would set a header line for 8-bit chars if one uses the /8
 ha>switch.

 Of a kind that is worthless to me. I've tried it...

 ha>This is true in *practice* too: all 8-bit chars *do* arrive in their
 ha>original form at destination.

 Good.

 ha>> As stated in my original post, QP is understood by all
 ha>>mailreaders I know  of. And easily converted.
 ha>a.) this is a lead-footed workaround

 Agreed. It works though.

 ha>(look only at the havoc of
 ha>line-breaks; UCS will do a better job with the chars but wouldn't
 ha>improve the originally bad, M$void "text" formatting),

 M$ can't be blamed for _everything_. :-)
 They (and we) inherited ASCII and several other charsets. And a
 lot of other conventions too.

 ha>But despite of all header declarations, this last step is very often
 ha>not, or not correctly, done by many applications.

 Ahh, here is the crux of the matter.

 I don't have your wide experience of applications and thought
 QP was something _all_ mail readers understood.
 My fault in assuming this without checking any further.

 My intent was to put together some no-cost low-tech software
 that can run on low-end hardware, just like NT.

 Yes, I know file size is an issue on some hardware. But that's
 because I include the full program packages as I received them.
 A working setup is much smaller, about 220KB _unpacked_.
 Even that can be tweaked a little if you strip out the
 comments.
 This _includes_ a good editor which can do all of the charset
 conversion if scripted and .bat-ed properly. Now we are down to
 about 50KB.
 Even edlin can do that, I think. Edlin comes with all (?)
 versions of MS-DOS up to 6.20. I guess the size of scripts and
 .bats would be in the range of 5-10KB.
 Wouldn't want to use edlin for reading and composing e-mail
 though...

 ha>Though writing - and correcting - that matrix took not
 ha>days but months, and this is outrageous: how many users had wasted
 ha>their time to find out, and even to correct manually, only bits and
 ha>pieces of those inconsistencies ?!

 I wasted some of my time in writing and correcting the
 translation tables for fixtext. :-)

 With a little help from RFC 1345... That's an awesome document.
 Take a look if you haven't already.


 Regards,
 Lars

Program call to load Windows- "Here_piggy_piggy_piggy"

Net-Tamer V 1.10.1  - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to