Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 01:30:38 -200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Character conversion


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----


Hello list.

The subject line does _not_ refer to converting my or anybody
else's character... :-)

It's about an attempt to ease the use of NetTamer.

Having different character sets at each end of an e-mail
conversation can be a bit annoying. You see funny characters
sometimes. This mostly (only?) affects people writing in another
language than english.

On this list I have seen people ask for NetTamer support of
their native character sets.
Mr Colston has provided a kind of support for 8-bit characters
in NT but it doesn't work very well. At least not for me.

To be able to exchange e-mail with my brother I put together a
some .bat-files and a few other things to automate the
conversion.

At present conversion can be made between cp437 (us-ascii),
cp850 (Windows 3.x) and ISO-8859-1.

The basic steps are:
    conversion to ISO-8859-1 character set
    encoding to MIME "quoted-printable"
    adding header lines to tell the mail reader about
    "quoted-printable"

All e-mail readers that I know of including NT, understands and
correctly displays MIME "quoted-printable".

I put all this into a .zip-file available at:

    http://www.abc.se/%7em990

Navigate to the NetTamer page and at the bottom find "Convmail".

If you use NT to get it, it's easier to enter the full path at
the http-prompt. The full path is:

    http://www.abc.se/%7em990/zippar/convmail.zip

The zip-file is about 290 KB so it will take awhile on a slow
connection.

The file contains all that is needed. I hope...

It uses Bruce Guthrie's fixtext, a MIME en/decoder and Xedit, a
free clone of Qedit.

Those of you who are on a slow connection and already have these
programs, send me a note privately and I will send you the .bat
and .ini-files by e-mail as they are less bulky than the whole
package.

Those of you who only have e-mail, send me a note and I will
send the file by e-mail.

Unpack the file in a directory of it's _own_, copy the e-mail to
convert to this directory, issue the appropriate command, copy
the e-mail back to your message directory and send it.

The command format is:

    <name of .bat-file> <file to convert>

Like this:

    437toiso mail.$01

Perhaps you can install it in your message directory and issue a
command from within NT. I haven't tried this so I don't know how
to do it.

The list of conversions available is far from complete. I hope
that people needing a specific code page can write their own
.ini-file and share the result with the rest us. The .ini and
.bat-files are commented to ease the creation of new ones.

This package is provided as is. I give no warranty whatsoever as
to its usefulness or function. I will not accept any
responsibility of any kind regarding the use of this package.
You use it entirely at your own risk. You should test it
thoroughly before use.

Suggestions for improvement and bug reports are welcome. Send
bug reports directly to me and the success stories to the
list. :-)

I can't promise much support but I will try to answer questions
as time permits.


Regards,
Lars

1/2 of debugging is teaching the bugs to co-operate!

Net-Tamer V 1.10.1  - Registered

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: cp850
Comment: Requires PGP version 2.6 or later.

iQEVAgUBOKdL4mOz1ftDd91ZAQFUVQgAnjIinLY2CgUL2S7pPhdBDVHHqf9+/GQG
YDS7BshmFuYQyyjbOBo2luJ5uo11TpDniA5O393MyOEnz5WOYsxPT9Nr1kVv7QcP
FNf8sNjdIdhG3KiUeJivbwAyAOvwOUwNIq3bgaBsWjELXmxgu3fn93GPUvp2DYxu
AzLsnf9hvrUUEjnqvah5RxCO9pyN/nO7/QZBWufw7W5E/CGvpialU7y7w3cbg/bv
r/YU0MLbBML9eY/vZtLiTAXj1vAwfT4gukLRda4pJyWADUZDrM2w3RhNN8KrAfk+
OX3bRWGUsYxB0p5qhyr3oIxnHZ21FBJo78YAbse5S6Q4naU++tCtDA==
=Un5A
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to