Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 23:05:22 -700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USR Courier HST 14.4 Revisited

Jerry:

     I'm running a USR 14.4k modem on a Toshiba T1200 laptop which 
has a 16450 UART. I'm able to obtain a full 14.4k connection with two 
local dialup nodes for CompuServe. I don't know why you are limiting 
your COM Port Initialization to 9,600 bps. I'm initializing at 
19,200. Perhaps there are hardware/software considerations beyond
Net-Tamer and the equipment noted in your description.

     I do not bother to initialize the COM port via AUTOEXEC.BAT; I 
let communications software, including Net-Tamer, take care of that 
task. If you are using Net-Tamer on a Windows machine, perhaps there 
is a reason to initialize the COM Port at a certain speed and parity 
at bootup; I don't know. I've never run across a situation, however,
where I needed to do this on a DOS-only machine -- my own XT.

     My current initialization string is:

ATZ^MATE0Q0V1S0=0&M5&K1X4M0^MAT&B1&R2&S1

This seems to work well for me in most circumstances.

                Walter Scott

On 2000-11-04 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

 JH Perhaps some of you remember when, a few months ago, I spoke
 JH about my use of a USR Courier HST 14.4 external modem with an
 JH IBM XT.  I finally was able to configure a stable connect string
 JH with Net-Tamer, but unlike the potential of the modem, I've only
 JH been able to connect at 2400bps, which should go up to 9600.
 JH Here's what I've done:  the COM1 port (IRQ4) is set at 96,n,8,1-
 JH under PC DOS 3.3 when booting (with autoexec.bat); Net-Tamer is
 JH set at 9600, COM1, IRQ4, and uses the following string --
 JH AT&FB0X7&C1&D2&M4&H1&R2&K3&B1&S1 S10=15
 JH           [......]
 JH Recently, I found a small program that could run my ports/modem
 JH through diagnostics and save the information to a file.  For this
 JH reason,I'm revisiting you folks to show you the results of that test
 JH to determine if it offers any of you further clues about how I
 JH could obtain a faster connection (up to 9600bps), or if there's
 JH some other problem with the modem.
 JH              [......]
 JH COM1-IRQ4:
 JH UART (16450 Chip) or Equivalent detected.
 
<><><> News & Views, 7 Days A Week, 24 Hours A Day, Are The Net <><><>

Net-Tamer V 1.11P - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to