Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 04:02:05 -800
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USR Courier HST 14.4 Revisited
On 2000-11-05 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>I tried the settings, as you suggested, but Net-Tamer didn't work.
>When I tested COM2 with the comtest program, it said that the port
>didn't exist or wasn't responding. This latter information is
>consistant with other diagnostic programs I've run on this XT:
>there's only one COM port and one LPT port.
Well, that answers that question. The other ports don't exist, which is
probably why the software you used to test didn't indicate an IRQ for
any of them. Only COM1 showed an IRQ value. A 16450 can do 19200, and
that would be adequate for 2:1 compression (MNP5) at 9600.
>Under the modem all the commands are listed. One of the commands
>(as I've shown in my initialization string) is "Bn", and with this
>command it says, as follows:
>Bn n=0 v.32 mode; CCITT answer sequence
>n=1 HST mode; Bell answer tone
>So I've included B0 in my string, whether or not it works. What's
>interesting is that, just a moment ago, I tested the string and
>received CPS readings downloading two different websites of 361 and
>530 -- both would seem to imply that some compression is taking
>place (at least). I'm still getting the "CONNECT 2400/ARQ" remark,
>though.
Well, if the manual indicates that it is supposed to set V.32 mode when
you use B0 in the init string, then all you can do is use that command.
It's too bad that the ATI7 command doesn't confirm the availability of
V.32 on the modem, but that doesn't matter if it can be made to work.
The download rates from the websites do suggest some compression, though
with websites it's hard to tell how much compression you're getting. If
the compression method is MNP5, it shouldn't be better than 2:1. If
V.42bis is used, compression can be up to 4:1, but not usually that
good. If you could connect to your own ISP using FTP and download a
file from there, you'd have a better measure of the performance.
Ronald Dailey
--
RCD
Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************