Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 00:08:7= -700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USR Courier HST 14.4 Revisited
On 2000-11-04 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
Hello, again, Ronald -- ;-)
>>COM1-IRQ4:
>>UART (16450 Chip) or Equivalent detected.
>Well, you would appear to have a 16450 UART on COM1
>>COM2-IRQ*:
>>FIFO UART (16550 Chip) or Equivalent detected without buffering.
>You would appear to have a 16550 UART on COM2. FIFOs are probably
>not turned on, but the application accessing the port for data
>transfer should do that when it initializes the port.
>If I were you, I'd try running the modem on COM2 (assuming that the
>physical port actually exists) to see whether you can get better
>results by setting the port rate (DTE) higher. Normally, it would
>be best to lock the port at 19200 (at least) for a 9600 connect
>rate. A 16450 UART might be adequate for 19200, but why not use a
>16550 UART if it's available.
I tried the settings, as you suggested, but Net-Tamer didn't work.
When I tested COM2 with the comtest program, it said that the port
didn't exist or wasn't responding. This latter information is
consistant with other diagnostic programs I've run on this XT:
there's only one COM port and one LPT port.
>>OUT: ATI7
>>IN:
>>Configuration Profile...
>>Product type External
>>Options HST
>You say that this Courier HST has V.32, but that option isn't
>listed in the Options line reported by ATI7. In ATI7 reports from
>other Courier modems that I've seen posted elsewhere, all available
>options were reported on that line. Are you sure that this modem
>has V.32? If it doesn't have V.32, then you will not connect at
>anything higher than 2400 unless you connect to another Courier HST
>or USR V.Everything that includes HST.
Under the modem all the commands are listed. One of the commands (as
I've shown in my initialization string) is "Bn", and with this command
it says, as follows:
Bn n=0 v.32 mode; CCITT answer sequence
n=1 HST mode; Bell answer tone
So I've included B0 in my string, whether or not it works. What's
interesting is that, just a moment ago, I tested the string and
received CPS readings downloading two different websites of 361 and
530 -- both would seem to imply that some compression is taking
place (at least). I'm still getting the "CONNECT 2400/ARQ" remark,
though.
Jerry >>>> USR Courier HST--V.32 | IBM PC/XT & PC Color Display <<<<
>>>>> PC DOS 3.3 & WordStar 3.30p | 20 MB HDD & 360K FDD <<<<<
Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************