> Am 27.09.15 um 23:09 schrieb Florian Cramer:
>
>   There are other aspects in German media theory, cultural studies and
>   humanities academia that I find by far more objectionable. For example,
>   how the more or less biggest names of German media theory and cultural
>   studies - Friedrich Kittler, Peter Sloterdijk, Horst Bredekamp, Hans
>   Belting - got in bed with Germany's yellow press tycoon Hubert Burda
>   (owner of Hubert Burda Media, publisher of among others "Bunte",
>   "Focus", "Super-Illu", the German "Playboy" and minority shareholder of
>   German tv station RTL2) for Burda's conferences and publications on the
>   "iconic turn", as documented on the website
>   http://www.iconicturn.de <http://www.iconicturn.de/>. (The website itself
> is run by the Hubert
>   Burda Foundation.) For those who can read German:
>   http://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/kultur/article10863152/Bilder-rasc
> <http://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/kultur/article10863152/Bilder-rasc>
>   heln-nicht.html . Quick translation of the second paragraph:ย
>   "Bazon Brock isn't Hubert Burda's only dialogue partner and
>   intellectual friend. Peter Sloterdijk, Friedrich Kittler, Horst
>   Bredekamp, Wolfgang Ullrich, Hans Belting are also part of the circle;
>   top-notch art historians and cultural analysts, and reliable
>   contributors to academic criticism. In Karlsruhe, where Burda's book
>   was presented, they all sat in a half circle, an honorable club of men.
>   It was quite touching how politely they all demonstrated their respect
>   for the author. Wolfgang Ullrich, wonderfully insubordinate younger
>   generation art historian, called his colleague, the Ph.D. art historian
>   Hubert Burda, an 'embedded scientist' who had managed to infiltrate the
>   business world for espionage work. Horst Bredekamp, wonderfully
>   down-to-the-earth mid-career art historian, showed a reproduction of a
>   'Hรถrzu' (German 'TV Guide') double page to praise its structured view
>   on the world of television.“ย

Dear Florian, if this is your biggest concern, than you should at least mention
that a large section of so called „critical net cultures“ in Europe has been
close to Burda Foundation since a long time:
http://www.akademie3000.de/content/mitglieder/start.htm
<http://www.akademie3000.de/content/mitglieder/start.htm>. Now to pick at
individual persons, who are considered to be German media theory (btw, an
ascription mainly coming from the US/Canadian-discourse) is, begging your
pardon, rather poor. Don’t get me wrong, I am the last who wants to defend the
Bazon Brocks (a media theorist, really?) out there, and the first who is eager
to dismantle the technicist argumentation of media theory in Germany, but I
don’t think quoting an article by „Die Welt“ (!) really does the job. Instead
we should use our brains and bring forward arguments.

@Centre for Digital Culture, Leuphana University: as one of the addressed, let
me say that the Digital Cultures Research Lab (DCRL), which is the only (!)
entity within the Centre for Digital Cultures at Leuphana University that is
funded by the Volkswagen Foundation (through a program called
„Niedersaechsisches Vorab“), has in the last two years tried hard to actually
break with the tradition of „German Media Theory“ (and especially a male-white
European/US-discourse, also to be found here on nettime) by bringing in fellows
from different fields and also from different regions of the world (e.g. Kavita
Philip, Orit Halpern, and currently Lawrence Liang; none of those really under
the suspicion to have been close to German Media Theory). So in line with
Andreas point, I would suggest that you first inform yourself about the actual
funding structure and also a bit about the work done with that money (e.g. an
international conference called „Terms of Media“ you have been part of).

Sorry, if this email comes off a bit harsh, but knowing most of the people and
the hard work they are providing to make this transdisciplinary and
transregional space possible, makes me a bit thin-skinned towards rather
obscure allegations.

Clemens

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nett...@kein.org