Hey Dustin,

Like others have suggested, spraying starting fluid directly into the open 
carbs (spray all four carbs, one at a time while opening the throttle and 
pushing the plunger up) should allow the bike to start and run for about 1-2 
seconds. This will work whether you're getting gas or not; and pretty much tell 
you that the timing and ignition are good (leaving the problem to reside in 
fuel delivery).

Have you checked the plug gaps? You may be getting spark, but it could be weak. 
Try cleaning the spark plug contacts with light sandpaper (not really 
recommended though) and re-gap them. You should have a nice, bright spark.

It sounds like you backed the pilot screws out a few turns. I used (i think) 
3.5 turns out to get mine running. I would blip the throttle a little as I 
cranked just in case the idle circuits were plugged.

Try that out and see what happens

 - JO
p.s. If you're like me, you'll need a few of these before it is all said and 
done: 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nighthawk-Maxim-EX-Starter-repair-Rebuild-kit-26-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335a97b736QQitemZ220563224374QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100#ht_1090wt_1117



On Jan 11, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Dustin Mcclure wrote:

> I went to Auto Zone today and picked up 2 new hoses for the petcock.
> Unfortunately I bought the wrong size for the vacuum hose so I will
> have to go back tomorrow and get a new one. I came home tonight and
> checked the spark plug connection(everything was straight)...I stuck
> my gas tank back on the bike and hooked up the vacuum hose and fuel
> supply line and tried to fire it up. I took two videos of myself
> trying to fire up the bike and put them on my flickr page. In video 16
> I try to fire it up at first without putting the choke on and then I
> put the choke on and turn it over some more....You can tell there is a
> big difference. In video 17 the choke is on the whole time. The
> results I got tonight were exponentially better than last night. Last
> night the engine only popped a few times...tonight it sounded like it
> was almost there. Also, in both videos the petcock is in the off
> position(there was gas in the carbs though. This was actually by
> accident...I didn't even realize until after I made the second video
> and by this time the battery was starting to die so I put it back on
> charge. I am going to go back out later tonight and make another video
> with the petcock in the on position and I will post that video.
> 
> 
> Here is the link to my profile.
> 
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sttlnb53/

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to