I am trying to work on this bike and keep up with my job at the same
time( I do contracting work from my computer) and I am not getting to
work on it as much as I would like. I should be able to spend a couple
of full days working on it this coming week though and I will test all
of these things out. This is all new territory for me. I will also try
to take some pictures of parts in the carb that I think may be
compromised. Thanks for all of your help.

On Jan 9, 9:27 am, "Allen Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Open the throttle fully and squirt ether in the carbs holding the throttle 
> wide open. it will start if you have spark regardless of what the carbs are 
> doing, use small burst of starter long cranking wears them out.
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dustin Mcclure <[email protected]>
>
> Sender: [email protected]
> Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 16:19:03
> To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!<[email protected]>
> Reply-To: [email protected]
> Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Just started cleaning my carbs
>
> It turns over and you can tell it is trying to do something but it
> doesn't pop or anything. It is just a smooth turn over...it doesn't
> sound like the engine is trying to engage at all.
>
> A friend of mine listened to the bike and he said it sounded like the
> float needles inside of the carb were getting stuck. This also fits
> with what was happening before I bought the  bike from my brother in
> law. He said that after he tried for a long period of time to get it
> to start the filter would have gas on it. This happens when the floats
> get stuck and the bowls overflow. My brother in law bought some carb
> cleaner from the local kawasaki dealership and my mechanic friend
> thinks that the cleaner that they sold him made the neoprene on the
> end of the float needles swell up.
>
> The bike is 27 years old though and it could probably use a carb
> rebuild. Do you know where I could get rebuild kits? I have a 1984
> Nighthawk 700 S.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Jan 8, 5:47 pm, Kyle Munz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Have you checked for spark? Is it trying to fire at all or just
> > cranking over with no response?
>
> > On Saturday, January 8, 2011, Dustin Mcclure <[email protected]> 
> > wrote:
> > > I did get the carbs back on but the bike is still not starting. I
> > > fired some starter fluid into the carbs while trying to fire it up but
> > > nothing. Now I guess I will go ahead and rebuild them all :(.
>
> > > On Jan 8, 5:25 pm, Kyle Munz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >> You have to remove the rear wheel if you want to completely remove the
> > >> airbox, but you can slide it back far enough to get out of the way 
> > >> without
> > >> pulling the wheel. I've become an expert at removing and reinstalling the
> > >> carbs. I'm slowly learning how to clean and tune the damn things. If I 
> > >> was
> > >> any good at the latter I wouldn't be as good at the former :P
>
> > >> -Kyle
>
> > >> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM, CharlesW <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >> > This is something completely new to me.
> > >> > I copied the information from a shop manual to remove mine and it had
> > >> > me remove the rear wheel, the inner fender liner, the battery and
> > >> > battery box, voltage regulator and pull the air box toward the rear of
> > >> > the bike.
> > >> > I think it takes me close to 1.5 hours to remove all that crap and
> > >> > about the same to reassemble everything. I usually plan to spend a 1/2
> > >> > day doing it. Luckily, I have only had to do it once. but....
> > >> > I'll have to try Kyle's method. Can't take me any longer.
> > >> > The ratchet strap around the airbox also sounds like a good idea.
>
> > >> > On Jan 8, 3:06 pm, Kyle Munz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >> > > It looks like more work, but it's MUCH easier to go ahead and pull 
> > >> > > the
> > >> > > battery, starter motor, airfilter, and voltage regulator so you can 
> > >> > > slide
> > >> > > the airbox back and get more room. For the Y boots between the 
> > >> > > airbox and
> > >> > > the carbs use a hairdryer or heatgun to soften them before you clamp 
> > >> > > them
> > >> > > down.
>
> > >> > > -Kyle
>
> > >> > --
> > >> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
> > >> > Groups
> > >> > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> > >> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> > >> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > >> > [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%2Bunsubscrib
> > >> >  [email protected]>
> > >> > .
> > >> > For more options, visit this group at
> > >> >http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
> > > --
> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> > > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> > > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> > > [email protected].
> > > For more options, visit this group 
> > > athttp://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
> > --
>
> > -Kyle
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group 
> athttp://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to