The petcock is automatic. Even though it's in the ON position it
closes when the engine isn't running. There's a spring and a diaphragm
that performs this magic all driven off of vacuum pressure from the
intake manifold. That's that line that keeps slipping off. If it's not
attached, or just has a crack and is letting the vacuum bleed off
it'll shut off your fuel and kill the bike. Scratch together a dollar
and take the old hose with you to any autoparts store and ask for
about 14" of vacuum line.

On Tuesday, January 11, 2011, Dustin Mcclure <[email protected]> wrote:
> I fixed the Pilot screws last night and the guy that was helping me
> said that I would need to sync the carbs once I got the bike
> running...he told me the bike should fire up regardless though(it just
> may run a little rough until I get them synced). He took my shop
> manual home last night though and said he was going to think about it.
> I have a feeling that it will end up being something really simple
> that has just been overlooked. Overall the engine and carbs are in
> good shape. Before the bike was sold to me my brother in-law had
> poured a couple hundred dollars into the engine and carbs. I have
> noticed some small things though. The hoses that run from the petcock
> to the intake manifolds and carbs need replaced and need a couple of
> clamps(the hose that goes to the intake slips off pretty often). It
> also looks like there used to be a bar that attached all of the pilot
> screws to each other so that you could adjust them all at once within
> a half turn or so...it is broken off now. Once I get the bike running
> again I will probably take it to a mechanic and have them give it a
> full tune-up.
>
> On Jan 11, 12:35 pm, Kyle Munz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Nice clean bike. Those pilot screws are actually pretty important. You have
>> to make sure the tips aren't buggered up at all. Then tighten them in all
>> the way until they're barely snug, and then turn them out about 2 5/8 turns.
>> At that point you're also supposed to synchronize the carbs with a
>> tachometer capable of 50rpm increments or something like that.
>>
>> -Kyle
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Dustin Mcclure <[email protected]
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > So I took the carbs off again last night with a friend who owns and
>> > maintains 8 of his own Motorcycles(so that I had a pair of experienced
>> > eyes). We tested the spark plugs and they were fine. I backed out the
>> > Pilot screws a couple of turns(I had no idea when I took the carbs off
>> > the first time and tightened them until they were snug). I also fired
>> > some ether into the carbs as I tried to start it. The good news is
>> > that it did a little bit more for me this time that it did the last.
>> > It sounded like the engine was actually trying to catch...there were
>> > some loud pops coming out of the muffler...and some smoke. I should
>> > have time to work on it again tomorrow. I will take a video of the
>> > bike as I am trying to start it.
>>
>> > Here are some pictures of the bike when it was still running and my
>> > brother in-law owned it.
>>
>> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/sttlnb53/
>>
>> > On Jan 9, 9:27 am, "Allen Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > > Open the throttle fully and squirt ether in the carbs holding the
>> > throttle wide open. it will start if you have spark regardless of what the
>> > carbs are doing, use small burst of starter long cranking wears them out.
>> > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
>>
>> > > -----Original Message-----
>> > > From: Dustin Mcclure <[email protected]>
>>
>> > > Sender: [email protected]
>> > > Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 16:19:03
>> > > To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!<[email protected]>
>> > > Reply-To: [email protected]
>> > > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Just started cleaning my carbs
>>
>> > > It turns over and you can tell it is trying to do something but it
>> > > doesn't pop or anything. It is just a smooth turn over...it doesn't
>> > > sound like the engine is trying to engage at all.
>>
>> > > A friend of mine listened to the bike and he said it sounded like the
>> > > float needles inside of the carb were getting stuck. This also fits
>> > > with what was happening before I bought the  bike from my brother in
>> > > law. He said that after he tried for a long period of time to get it
>> > > to start the filter would have gas on it. This happens when the floats
>> > > get stuck and the bowls overflow. My brother in law bought some carb
>> > > cleaner from the local kawasaki dealership and my mechanic friend
>> > > thinks that the cleaner that they sold him made the neoprene on the
>> > > end of the float needles swell up.
>>
>> > > The bike is 27 years old though and it could probably use a carb
>> > > rebuild. Do you know where I could get rebuild kits? I have a 1984
>> > > Nighthawk 700 S.
>>
>> > > Thanks.
>>
>> > > On Jan 8, 5:47 pm, Kyle Munz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > > > Have you checked for spark? Is it trying to fire at all or just
>> > > > cranking over with no response?
>>
>> > > > On Saturday, January 8, 2011, Dustin Mcclure <
>> > [email protected]> wrote:
>> > > > > I did get the carbs back on but the bike is still not starting. I
>> > > > > fired some starter fluid into the carbs while trying to fire it up
>> > but
>> > > > > nothing. Now I guess I will go ahead and rebuild them all :(.
>>
>> > > > > On Jan 8, 5:25 pm, Kyle Munz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > > > >> You have to remove the rear wheel if you want to completely remove
>> > the
>> > > > >> > [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%2Bunsubscrib
>> > > > >> >  [email protected]><nighthawk_lovers%2Bunsubscrib
>> > [email protected]>
>> > > > >> > .
>> > > > >> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > > > >> >http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>>
>> > > > > --
>> > > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>> > > > > To post to this group, send email to
>> > [email protected].
>> > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%2Bunsubscrib
>> >  [email protected]>
>> > .
>> > > > > For more options, visit this group athttp://
>> > groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>>
>> > > > --
>>
>> > > > -Kyle
>>
>> > > --
>> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>> > > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%2Bunsubscrib
>> >  [email protected]>
>> > .
>> > > For more options, visit this group athttp://
>> > groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>>
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%2Bunsubscrib
>> >  [email protected]>
>> > .
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> >http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
>

-- 

-Kyle

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to