HI graham,  merry Christmas.  My first thought on your oil contamination
would be head gasket as well, although if you have a breach between coolant
and oil passages on head gasket you probably not losee any compression,
just get coolant in oil since the coolant is under more pressure.
  Since you didn't mention any white smoke or blue smoke while running
bike, both of which indicate a breach into the combustion chamber, I think
the information you get will be related to ring and valve wear. .
  Can you pressurize cooling system instead. If your crankcase was empty,
and had a leak between coolant and oil passages you would get collateral in
crankcase.
  Possibly water pump seal?
  Just my 2 cents. Darin