> On 7 December 2001 at 8:24, Jon Steinhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am planning to change anno to append header fields instead.
> > Can't see how this would break any existing applications.  If
> > anyone is worried about this, I can add a prepend/append option
> > but that seems unnecessarily complex to me.
>
> There are cases where the *order* of anno's annotations (the header
> fields it adds) *does* matter.  For instance, if you're displaying a
> particular header field, "scan" will show only at the *first*
> occurrence of that field (the occurrence closest to the start of the
> message file).  For example:
>
>     $ show -noshow last
>     (Message DELETE:352)
>     From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     Subject: Hmmm
>
>     This is a test
>     $ anno -component X-haha -text 'first annotation' -nodate
>     $ show -noshow last
>     (Message DELETE:352)
>     From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     Subject: Hmmm
>
>     This is a test
>     $ anno -component X-haha -text 'second annotation' -nodate
>     $ show -noshow last
>     (Message DELETE:352)
>     From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     Subject: Hmmm
>
>     This is a test
>     $ scan -format '%{x-haha}' cur
>     second annotation
>
> If it doesn't add too much complexity, it might be worth keeping the
> old prepending code as an option.
>
> Jerry
> --
> Jerry Peek, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.jpeek.com/

OK, will do.

So, now that this list has come alive again, I have a larger question on
attachments.

I have been thinking about the interface for reading attachments.  While
mhlist, mhstore, and mhshow work, they don't present a pleasing UI.  I
would personally like there to be no difference between reading messages
and reading attachments.  In other words, I don't want to have to use a
different UI because someone sends me a message with 3 attachments as
opposed to 3 messages.

Along these lines, changing the message numbering scheme a bit makes
sense to me.  I'd like to be able to "show 123.4" as opposed to having
to "show 123; mhlist; mhshow -part 4".  And I'd like next and prev to
go to the next and previous attachments if a message has attachments.
I'd even like scan to list the attachments.

Now, I realize that this a major change.  Any opinions out there?

Jon