Hi Tom,

> All of these solutions presuppose that this is my problem and not the
> software's.  I respectfully disagree.

Me too.  :-)

There's a mechanism for telling a hierarchy of programs their locale;
environment variables.  You're using it, but you're telling some of them
a different locale to what you really want them to use.  That's not the
software's fault.  If I use mail(1) here in the C locale to send an
email and give it non-ASCII characters then they are ignored, don't make
it into the email at all, and that email isn't MIME, thus it's US-ASCII
and valid at that because non-ASCII has been (silently) stripped.  It
offers only environment variables to alter its locale.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy