In a message of Tue, 18 Oct 2016 15:13:49 +0100, Ralph Corderoy writes:
>There's a mechanism for telling a hierarchy of programs their locale;
>environment variables.  You're using it, but you're telling some of them
>a different locale to what you really want them to use.

People do this a lot around here.  Due to the extremely poor placement
of the '{' and '}' keys, right-alt-shifted-7 and right-alt-shifted-0
(yuck!) people who need to type braces at speed pop in and out of
us-ascii all the time.  I suspect these days there are less invasive ways
to say 'change my keyboard layout' but this is what people have become
used to.

Laura