Ciara,

I thought I'd add an alternative explanation that may maximize your
use of MoneyWell's split transaction feature.

When you create a split, in the split detail area, called "Split
Transaction" on the MoneyWell panel, and you've referred to as
transaction screen, Kevin is explaining that the first split item will
be called the Split Parent.  All other split items are split children
(although no reference to children exists in the program--I'm using
that for discussion sake here).

Now in the Transactions panel, in the center of the screen, you are
correct in stating that the split order appears random--the Split
Parent item can be anywhere among the split transactions, sometimes,
splits even overlap.  However, the Split Parent is always the first
item when you were initially creating the split in the split detail
panel.  Kevin has said that he will fix the orders of the splits in
1.5.  Presumably, the Split Parent will always be listed first
followed by its respective children after this update in the
Transaction panel.

There are two ways to view splits in the main Transaction panel:
Hide Split Transaction Totals
Show Split Transaction Totals

In either view, the split parent is always the one with the
transaction status showing next to it (Open, Cleared, Reconciled, or
Pending).  The children will have have three lines next to it,
indicating that it is a split child.  When you select a split child,
you can click a button over in the Split Transaction detail area that
will take you to the Split Parent--this will show you how the money is
divided.

When you hide split transaction totals, each transaction that is part
of the split shows the individual amount allocated to the split--even
the parent shows it's split amount, which is less than the total
transaction amount.

When you show split transaction totals, only the parent shows an
amount in the Transaction panel, and it is the total amount of the
transaction.  To see the individual split amounts, you would need to
click on each split transaction.

Now, your final concern was changing the information in the splits.
Like you have observed, when you select different split items in the
Split Transaction area, it does not change the information at the top
of the Transaction Detail.  The Transaction Detail always shows the
information from the split parent.

The easiest way to change the buckets for an individual split item is
to select the split child in the Transactions panel in the main part
of the screen, rather than in the Split Transaction area.  I would
caution, you, though, not to change the amount in this way, though,
because there appears to be a bug which allows you to change a split
child amount, and the transaction total doesn't change.  Neither is
there an additional transaction added to account for the difference
you've created.  In other words, the sum of the split items doesn't
equal the total transaction amount.  It appears that after reopening
the document, the split transaction corrects itself and adds a split
transaction to cover the difference--leaving you wondering why an
unexplained, unallocated transaction is all of a sudden showing up in
your document.

Instead, if you must change a split item amount, change it in the
Split Transaction area, not by selecting the split child.  I hope this
helps--if something requires more clarity, let me know!

Grace to you,
Blair

On Jan 20, 2009, at 7:22 AM, ciara belle wrote:

> i understand what your saying - but its not the case... perhaps its
> not working properly.. but in some transactions it chooses the first
> split to display... in others it chooses the last... others again the
> middle... so it seems random to me...
> Not sure what your saying about the parent - i will take your word for
> it - but i personally don't think the feature is very useful if you
> cant change the items viewed by selecting another split item.  As i
> said i think we need a way to see more detail on the splits - as the
> transaction screen is not wide enough to see all the info.
> thanks
>
> ciara
>
> On Jan 19, 7:48 am, Kevin Hoctor <ke...@nothirst.com> wrote:
>> The amount is not picked at random. If you see the split table then
>> this is the split parent and also the first split line. The selection
>> in the split table cannot drive the upper entries or it would also
>> take you off the parent.
>>
>> The split children can be selected in the Transaction list to the
>> left.
>>
>> Peace,
>>
>> Kevin Hoctor
>> No Thirst Software LLChttp://nothirst.com
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2009, at 6:02 AM, ciara belle <ciaraswe...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> there are two marked total -- split total - which i understand
>>> completely... and the total closer to the top of the screen..
>>> which is
>>> actually to correct myself (sigh) called Amount..   That amount
>>> field
>>> is easily understood when there are no splits.. however when there
>>> ARE
>>> splits.. the amount picks a Split line at Random.. and displays
>>> that...   If you select ANOTHER split line in the transacation -