On Tuesday 19 January 2010 20:31:22 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Let me be a bit more "nationalistic" and exaggerate a bit for a moment
> (just in order to explain why I find the idea of using `` a bad one;
> do not take the text below too seriously or personally):

I think that the easiest would be for everyone to use English :)
That's my bit for Imperialism!

As I write in a mixture of languages, I like to use \quotation{}.
But long-time TeX users have habits that die hard,
and just as we expect fl to yield fl, we also learn many "bad" tricks
such as ``'' and ...

> - The deciding moment when some of these ugly tricks have been thrown
> away was when we realized that if you do add those tricks, there is no
> way to print the grave accent.

How about {\`} (untested)

You probably are right to favor \quotation{}, \dots, etc.
and to go unicode. But is it really necessary and a good idea
to break with TeX culture? I guess so. What about $ $ (and $$ $$)?
How about % (\%)? Not to mention &

> I have no idea which keyboard you use, but US International is pretty
> rich (the problem is lack of some legend on keyboard itself), on the
> other hand it's easy enough to make your own layout.

My own computers are US International. However, I often use other
computers having different layouts, many of which I cannot change.
The worst I find are the Macs with French keyboards, as when I use them,
I always have to remember how to find \ and {}

The bottom line is that we need to document these differences
towards the very beginning of the manual, where ConTeXt is
identified as a form of TeX.

Alan