Hi all,

Just to add a bit more context:

There have been many in-depth discussions on this topic among the eBird
reviewers, and the folks at Cornell acknowledge that this is an issue they
wish to tackle soon. In one of his recent responses to our reviewer
listserv, Marshall Iliff indicated that addressing this is a priority for
them, so I imagine we should have additional tools soon (perhaps in the
next year), presumably impacting what shows up in the public output, and
likely including some user-options for what to count and what not to count
on our own personal lists.

The current recommendation is to report any live, wild birds, including
introduced birds (see the bottom of this help page):
http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/articles/973921-what-data-are-appropriate-

In many places some of those introduced birds will become 'invalidated' by
the reviewers, meaning they won't show up in public output (but will still
show up on your lists), while other established species will show up on
public maps. The important thing is that regardless of review status, those
records are still in the database, and if/when they become important to
monitor the community will still have access to those records. Some of that
process may change once eBird Central invents new tools to deal with the
data.

Many (but not all) exotics are also 'domestic' types, by which eBird means
"distinctly-plumaged domesticated varieties that may be free-flying".
Locally this includes things like Budgerigar, 'Swedish' Mallards, etc.
There are normally separate taxonomic categories for those birds with the
words (Domestic type) in parenthesis. These should only be used for birds
that are identifiable as a domestic variety. These domestic varieties
currently don't show up on lists. More info on that category can be found
on this help page:
http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/articles/1006825-the-ebird-taxonomy?b_id=1928

Michael Schrimpf
Suffolk Cty
eBird reviewer for the high seas and Antarctica