"Personally, I think tracking these potential colonizers is important and
interesting. Simply invalidating them or discouraging reporting isn't a
good solution."

Agreed, particularly as range flux is likely to accelerate in ways we'll
need to observe and measure as climate changes take hold.  We need to think
about the Big Picture.

John Laver
Manhattan

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Angus Wilson <oceanwander...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> For European Goldfinch I suspect 'domesticated' isn't an option. Same for
> other known or presumed escapes or deliberate releases that occur with
> regularity in NYS (e.g. Chukar and various non-domesticated waterfowl).
> Personally, I think tracking these potential colonizers is important and
> interesting. Simply invalidating them or discouraging reporting isn't a
> good solution. Issues with list purity can be a separate conversation,
> decoupled from the scientific uses of this information.
>
> Angus Wilson
> New York City, NY
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
> ABA <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
> *Please submit your observations to **eBird*
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>*!*

*John L*

*You could not step twice into the same river.*

*Heraclitus of Ephesus*