Greg's point is well taken.  The breakage of spokes on new rear wheels
can be due to poor construction, new spokes loosening up, or weight
extremes (such as carrying heavily laden panniers with groceries on or
touring gear).  Judging from your description Derek, it may be just
loosening of new spokes which aren't being attended to.  This problem
increases with wider gear blocks (i.e. 9 or 10 cogs on back versus 6 or
7 cogs).  On new wheels you should always monitor and re-tighten any
loosening spokes and re-true frequently.  I just rode a new bike home
from the store the other day, and the rear wheel was out of true by the
time I got home.  It's got a 9-gear cog block, and the spokes on the
non-cog side tend to loosen up very easily because it's impossible to
tighten them very much without taking the rim out of dish.

Hope this is useful.

--
Roger Guillemette
Website: http://www.bigfoot.com/~roger_guillemette