Forgot one: use the old fashioned cross 3 lace pattern.

Menno

Menno Spijker wrote:

> I agree with Greg. Don't bother with the bike shop, except for buying parts, and
> build your own wheel. If you stay away from fancy/trendy patterns. It's pretty
> easy. I would recommend the Mavic T519 rim for 28mm tires and up. It's lighter
> then the Sun and probably stronger too. I've never had any trouble with Mavic
> rims for touring. I'm about 90 kg these days. But in the old days of "the lean
> cycling machine" I was below 80kg but usually carried 20kg of stuff around (a
> good book, real coffee, camping gear, camera with 2 extra lenses etc). No
> problemo. I've put the T519 on my new touring bike.
>
> Here's a few tricks that worked for me.
> - Don't go for less than 36 spokes. I don't think you need 40 or 48 spoke
> wheels.
> - Get a good hub. I have good experience with XT hubs for touring.
> - Use double butted 14/15 spokes for the front wheel and the non-drive sidein
> the rear wheel,
> - Use 13/14 single butted (Wheelsmith DH13, hard to get) or 14 plain on the
> drive side, This gives you a better balance in spoke tension.
> - Put brass washers under the spoke heads if necessary, see
> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/DTspokes.htm
> - For ultimate strength, use DT Alpine3 left and DH13 right (not available in
> Canada in road lengths).
> - Put the "pulling" spokes on the inside of the hub.
> - Make sure the spokes on the outside of the hub are stress relieved. That means
> bend them a bit around the hub so that they point to the spoke hole in the rim.
> This is VERY important.
> - put a bit of (non-lithium) grease or vaseline on the spoke thread.
> - For the right spoke length, see http://www.dtswiss.com
> - Use cloth rim tape (check McCranks on Bank)
>
> I wouldn't mind helping you but I'm getting married in 1.5 weeks and away
> cycling for another 5 after that. So no time before mid november. I haven't read
> Jobst Brand's book but Bertrand (the brothers) has it in stock.
>
> Good luck,
> Menno

------
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Club Office:      [EMAIL PROTECTED],  (613) 230-1064
Web/mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb
Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/Newsletter