> Perhaps you'd think differently if you were a woman who got no handicap
> in the "official" event?

No, I would not. In fact, as a woman I think would have had a better
chance at winning the handicap event.

As a woman, I would have only needed to do a time of 21:55 to win. As a
man I needed a time of 19:16 to win. Granted, that if I were a woman, I
would have a body that is physiologically not capable as producing that
same amount of power as a man's body. However, if I were to apply the
same amount of training and intensity to that body as I do my own, I
would be very surprised if I did not go any faster 21:55.

>Or perhaps you'd be a little offended if you were told that
> sorry, you're not even a participant in the main event, but just to >be
> ranked amongst the other women???

There was an award for both the man's and woman's category, so I would
not be offended. Now, if I were a woman and had the fastest handicapped
time amongst women and got nothing because I had to compete against the
men, I would be a little offended.

> Hmmm - The current "official" age-handicapping event actually suffers
> from this
> type of problem, whereas a personal handicapping system CAN certainly be
> devised to
> avoid it! The current "official" handicapping event gives an unfair
> advantage to
> the faster riders in each year of birth - ie., giving all  64 year old
> males a 165
> second advantage regardless of their speed will benefit the faster 64
> year old more
> than the slower 64 year old (ie., the faster rider will travel farther
> in 165
> seconds than will the slower rider) and since we're comparing the
> performance of
> both of those 64 year olds with people of OTHER ages, we probably
> shouldn't be
> giving one more of an advantage than the other relative to the other age
> categories...

With the current handicapping, it does give the advantage to older fast
riders. But, personally, I think older faster riders should be given
some type of recognition for being fast.

It depends on what you want to accomplish with the handicap event. Do
you want give people an advantage for having an older body that should
not be able to go as fast. Or do you simply want to make everyone equal
going into the event? If everyone is made equal, then the person that
wins is the person who improves upon their time the most. I do not think
that a improvement event is the way to go, however the club could have a
separate award for the most improved male and female cyclist for the
year.

The only way I can see Personal Handicapping as being fair is to base
the improvement required to win on power. Say the person the largest
power increase would win. That I guess would be fair, but still it would
just be an improvement event. But for a person with a 30-minute baseline
would have to reduce their time, much more than a person with a
20-minute baseline time to equal the same amount of power increase.

Maybe the club should just have 2 events, one event based on the current
system and another based on a Personal Handicap system.

The entire handicap system could be an excellent item to bring up at the
AGM. Maybe there could even be a vote or something like that on which
handicap system most people wish to use. However, it will not be myself
bringing the topic up, as I am happy with the current system.

------
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Club Office:      [EMAIL PROTECTED],  (613) 230-1064
Web/mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb
Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/Newsletter