Hi Xan,

No cynicism taken ;) Hopefully this will make my view clearer.

"adding a field" to records is as easy as adding it to the JSON
document that is an Open Library "record" and putting it on the
server. However, there is no formal submission process for field
suggestions nor rules for creating coherent field names. I suggested
other fields on GitHub too, like VIAF id for authors [2] or more
recently "has index/bibliographic references/illustrations" [3].
There needs to be an agreement on the name of the field and in case
the field value is not a reference to an OL thing, the form of the
value would be useful (e.g. should VIAF id contain the complete URI,
or just the number at the end of the URI?).

"publishers" is already taken for the list of strings that publisher
names are in (see [4] for all 'official' fields in Edition records).
Let me suggest "publisher_ids" that should contain a list of
references to pages of type `/type/publisher`.

The not-so-easy part is adapting the web interface and setting up
extra stuff on the backend. If you edit a Work and type an author
name, an index is queried to suggest authors from the list of
authorities. Such an index is also needed if we want users to connect
a publisher name to an authority. Creating such an index for authors
has apparently been very resource intensive (I believe the author
index misses some updates, since it broke last year; new updates are
indexed). Therefore, a new server may be needed for an index like
this.

[2] https://github.com/internetarchive/openlibrary/issues/144
[3] https://github.com/internetarchive/openlibrary/issues/199
[4] http://openlibrary.org/type/edition