Hi Karen,

Here's the RDF I got back from the link you gave:

@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix bibo: <http://purl.org/ontology/bibo/> .
@prefix rdg2: <http://RDVocab.info/elementsG2/> .
@prefix dcterms: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .

<http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A>
    rdg2:biographicalInformation """Margaret Mahy ONZ (born i....""" ;
    rdg2:dateOfBirth "21 March 1936" ;
    rdg2:identifierForThePerson "/authors/OL31800A" ;
    rdg2:name "Margaret Mahy" ;
    rdg2:variantNameForThePerson "Mahy, Margaret" ;
    dcterms:modified "2010-04-12 12:42:10.448987" ;
    bibo:uri "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Mahy"; .

I'd like to understand if you're modelling this as a person, or as a
"bibliographic entity" as obviously that has implications. Putting aside the
possible confusion of pen-names my preference would be to see the author
modelled as a person, or an organisation if a corporate author. This should be
shown as a type statement so we know which way OL goes.

        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> a foaf:Person ;

If using foaf Person, it might be better to foaf:name for the name, foaf
doesn't include a variant name so you might need to invent that, or where
possible you could parse the name into family and given using the foaf
properties. I know, names are a can of worms.

Having made Margaret a Person, it then wouldn't be right to say that she was
modified! You'd have to add in some data about the representation or dataset.

        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> dcterms:modified
"2010-04-12 12:42:10.448987" ;
                dcterms:subject <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> .

That date would ideally be typed as well, so we can do date sorting:

        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> dcterms:modified
"2010-04-12 12:42:10.448987"^^xsd:Date ;

It would also be good for the date of birth to be formatted and typed as an
xsd:Date:

        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> rdg2:dateOfBirth
"1936-03-21"^^xsd:Date ;

A further implication of making Margaret a Person is that you can't use
bibo:uri, bibo says that things with a uri are either a Document or a
Collection, and those are not compatible with also being a Person. Also, uri
probably isn't the right term to describe the 'aboutness' of a page. I did
think foaf had topicOf, but I can't see it in the spec - but something like

        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> foaf:topicOf
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Mahy>

Note, the uri is treated as a resource in RDF so goes in <> rather than quotes.

I'm not sure what you mean by:

    rdg2:identifierForThePerson "/authors/OL31800A" ;

isn't the full uri <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> the identifier for
the person?

If you do want to model the OL identifier for use in non-uri based systems
perhaps then you would also want the scheme the identifier came from, to do
that the identifier might need to be modelled separately:

        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> rdg2:identifierForThePerson
<http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A#id> .
        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A#id> rdf:value
"/authors/OL31800A" ;
                rdg2:identifierScheme
<http://openlibrary.org/identifier-scheme> .

but I haven't thought that through very thoroughly.

rob

On 3 Jun 2010, at 16:54, Karen Coyle wrote:

> There's a first draft of author RDF available. It's live. e.g.:
>
> http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf
>
> I'm looking for a generic "URL" property for web pages about the
> author. Ideas? Also, the "link" property in OL has both the URL and
> display text. I don't know the best way to do that in RDF, other than
> to create an xml-ish structure.
>
> I used mainly RDVOCAB properties, but could substitute bibo and/or
> dcterms where they fit, if folks prefer. RDV tends to be more specific
> (e.g. "identifier for the person"), but that may be too specific. I
> don't much care, so state any preferences.
>
> Thanks,
> kc
>
> --
> Karen Coyle
> kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
> ph: 1-510-540-7596
> m: 1-510-435-8234
> begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1-510-435-8234
> end_of_the_skype_highlighting
> skype: kcoylenet

Rob Styles
tel: +44 (0)870 400 5000
fax: +44 (0)870 400 5001
mobile: +44 (0)7971 475 257
msn: mmmmm...@yahoo.com
irc: irc.freenode.net/mmmmmrob,isnick
web: http://www.talis.com/
blog: http://www.dynamicorange.com/blog/
blog: http://blogs.talis.com/panlibus/
blog: http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/
blog: http://blogs.talis.com/n2/

Find out more about Talis at http://www.talis.com/
shared innovation™

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of
Talis Information Ltd or its employees. The content of this email message and
any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the
intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please
return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an
unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is
registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court,
Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.