isPrimaryTopicOf - thanks Ed.

rob

On 4 Jun 2010, at 12:16, Ed Summers wrote:

> I support Rob's suggestions to see what you can get out of FOAF before
> using RDA. But I realize you've had a hand in designing the RDA
> vocabulary, so it's understandable that you want to use it. Some
> comments inline below.
>
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Rob Styles <rob.sty...@talis.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to understand if you're modelling this as a person, or as a
>> "bibliographic entity" as obviously that has implications. Putting aside the
>> possible confusion of pen-names my preference would be to see the author
>> modelled as a person, or an organisation if a corporate author. This should
>> be shown as a type statement so we know which way OL goes.
>>
>>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> a foaf:Person ;
>>
>> If using foaf Person, it might be better to foaf:name for the name, foaf
>> doesn't include a variant name so you might need to invent that, or where
>> possible you could parse the name into family and given using the foaf
>> properties. I know, names are a can of worms.
>
> +1 for modelling as a foaf:Person
>
>> Having made Margaret a Person, it then wouldn't be right to say that she was
>> modified! You'd have to add in some data about the representation or dataset.
>>
>>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> dcterms:modified
>> "2010-04-12 12:42:10.448987" ;
>>                dcterms:subject <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> .
>>
>> That date would ideally be typed as well, so we can do date sorting:
>>
>>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> dcterms:modified
>> "2010-04-12 12:42:10.448987"^^xsd:Date ;
>>
>> It would also be good for the date of birth to be formatted and typed as an
>> xsd:Date:
>>
>>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> rdg2:dateOfBirth
>> "1936-03-21"^^xsd:Date ;
>
> +1 for using xsd:Date. If I were doing it I would probably model the
> birth using bio:Birth:
>
>  <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> bio:event [a bio:Birth
> ; bio:date 1936-03-21"^^xsd:Date] .
>
> It's a bit more work to create a event resource, but I think it's
> worth at least trying to do. It is particularly handy when attaching
> additional information, like where the person was born, etc.
>
>> A further implication of making Margaret a Person is that you can't use
>> bibo:uri, bibo says that things with a uri are either a Document or a
>> Collection, and those are not compatible with also being a Person. Also, uri
>> probably isn't the right term to describe the 'aboutness' of a page. I did
>> think foaf had topicOf, but I can't see it in the spec - but something like
>>
>>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> foaf:topicOf
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Mahy>
>
> Couldn't you use:
>
>  <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Mahy> .
>
>> Note, the uri is treated as a resource in RDF so goes in <> rather than
>> quotes.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by:

> [...]

Rob Styles
tel: +44 (0)870 400 5000
fax: +44 (0)870 400 5001
mobile: +44 (0)7971 475 257
msn: mmmmm...@yahoo.com
irc: irc.freenode.net/mmmmmrob,isnick
web: http://www.talis.com/
blog: http://www.dynamicorange.com/blog/
blog: http://blogs.talis.com/panlibus/
blog: http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/
blog: http://blogs.talis.com/n2/

Find out more about Talis at http://www.talis.com/
shared innovation™

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of
Talis Information Ltd or its employees. The content of this email message and
any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the
intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please
return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an
unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is
registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court,
Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.