I support Rob's suggestions to see what you can get out of FOAF before
using RDA. But I realize you've had a hand in designing the RDA
vocabulary, so it's understandable that you want to use it. Some
comments inline below.

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Rob Styles <rob.sty...@talis.com> wrote:
> I'd like to understand if you're modelling this as a person, or as a
> "bibliographic entity" as obviously that has implications. Putting aside the
> possible confusion of pen-names my preference would be to see the author
> modelled as a person, or an organisation if a corporate author. This should
> be shown as a type statement so we know which way OL goes.
>
>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> a foaf:Person ;
>
> If using foaf Person, it might be better to foaf:name for the name, foaf
> doesn't include a variant name so you might need to invent that, or where
> possible you could parse the name into family and given using the foaf
> properties. I know, names are a can of worms.

+1 for modelling as a foaf:Person

> Having made Margaret a Person, it then wouldn't be right to say that she was
> modified! You'd have to add in some data about the representation or dataset.
>
>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> dcterms:modified
> "2010-04-12 12:42:10.448987" ;
>                dcterms:subject <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> .
>
> That date would ideally be typed as well, so we can do date sorting:
>
>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> dcterms:modified
> "2010-04-12 12:42:10.448987"^^xsd:Date ;
>
> It would also be good for the date of birth to be formatted and typed as an
> xsd:Date:
>
>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> rdg2:dateOfBirth
> "1936-03-21"^^xsd:Date ;

+1 for using xsd:Date. If I were doing it I would probably model the
birth using bio:Birth:

  <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A.rdf> bio:event [a bio:Birth
; bio:date 1936-03-21"^^xsd:Date] .

It's a bit more work to create a event resource, but I think it's
worth at least trying to do. It is particularly handy when attaching
additional information, like where the person was born, etc.

> A further implication of making Margaret a Person is that you can't use
> bibo:uri, bibo says that things with a uri are either a Document or a
> Collection, and those are not compatible with also being a Person. Also, uri
> probably isn't the right term to describe the 'aboutness' of a page. I did
> think foaf had topicOf, but I can't see it in the spec - but something like
>
>        <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> foaf:topicOf
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Mahy>

Couldn't you use:

  <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Mahy> .

> Note, the uri is treated as a resource in RDF so goes in <> rather than
> quotes.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by:
>
>    rdg2:identifierForThePerson "/authors/OL31800A" ;
>
> isn't the full uri <http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL31800A> the identifier
> for the person?

Similar confusion here. I could see this sort of information being
important in a non-rdf serialization though.

//Ed