All -

I created VMs for Ubuntu 13.10 32 and 64 bit ooRexx builds yesterday.
Daily builds are available starting today.

Now for the longer story. I think I have fixed an old problem with
ooRexx builds.

When I tried to build ooRexx on Ubuntu 13.10 both the 32 and 64 bit
builds crashed in exactly the same manor while building rexximage. We
have seen this problem before in zLinux builds of ooRexx and we have
never figured out what was causing it. This because no error messages
are produced when rexximage crashes, it just seems to die for no reason.

Well, the 32 bit rexximage build (but not the 64 bit build) did produce
some clear error messages for Ubuntu 13.10. It seems that librexx.so had
unresolved symbols, namely dlopen, dlclose and dlsym. These are all
located in the libdl.so shared object. So I added the -ldl flag to the
link for that library and rebuilt. It now gave the same complaint for
librexxapi.so. So I added the same flag to the link of that shared
object and rebuilt again. This time rexximage was able to complete and
the build finished successfully.

As to why Ununtu 13.10 needs the libdl.so shared object linked in and
most other *nix builds do not, I have no idea. But adding the -ldl flag
globally does not cause a problem. If the libdl.so shared object is not
needed by the linker then it will just be ignored with no consequence.

My main point here is that I suspect that this is also the problem we
are seeing with some ooRexx zLinux builds. And that by fixing the Ubuntu
13.10 build we may have fixed this older problem as well. I will see
what I can do about testing this hypothesis on a zLinux machine as soon
as I can make arrangements with our zLinux sponsor at Marist college.

Sorry about being long winded.

David Ashley