On Jun 18, 11:19 am, Boaz Harrosh <bharr...@panasas.com> wrote:
> On 06/18/2009 10:56 AM, Joachim Worringen wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
>
> > I tried to use Open-iSCSI with a non-tcp socket type and failed
> > (timeout after connection has been established).
>
> > Looking at the source, the reason is obvious: for sending data
> > (iscsi_send()), the function pointers from sock->sk are used via the
> > kernel socket API. This works well with non-tcp sockets. Howver, for
> > reading data (see callback handler iscsi_tcp_data_ready()),
> > tcp_read_sock() is used instead of the related kernel socket API call.
>
> Sounds good. Could you test out your solution and send a patch?
> If it tests out, I don't see why not.

We don't have a solution yet, just a problem...

> > Is there a specific reason for this? iSCSI would surely benefit from
> > using high-performance, non-tcp sockets if available (I'm talking
> > about SuperSockets in this case,
> > seehttp://www.dolphinics.com/products/dolphin-supersockets.html).
>
> Sure sounds nice. If it is a simple and compatible change it sounds very good.

I haven't looked into it enough to claim it'll be a simple change. I
figure the iscsi recv code will change completely, but would be
simplified as we don't need to deal with the tcp buffer details etc.
when using a simple socket recv call, but it remains to be seen how
this affects compatibility, i.e. conc. partial or interrupted
transfer.

It is not decided whether we allocate resources for this.

 Joachim