Thanks for the replies!

We're using DKMS and expected the dynamic re-roll of the kmods to work like
any other kernel upgrade but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I need to
dig deeper, especially now that there is evidence that it's just our site.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

 - Kodiak

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Matt Vander Werf <mvand...@nd.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> ls: reading directory /afs/crc.nd.edu: Not a directory
>
> But no kernel panics here either.
>
> @Kodiak: Is it possible you were running a kmod-openafs from an older
> kernel? I compiled a new kmod-openafs RPM on a RHEL 7.5 beta system and it
> works well.
>
> I compiled all the OpenAFS packages from the source RPM on the RHEL 7.5
> beta system itself and didn't run into any issues with the compile.
>
> Besides this, AFS seems to be running correctly with nothing in the logs
> indicating any problems (like Gary mentioned).
>
> Any idea what might be causing this? Some semantic changes like with the
> getcwd issue in RHEL 7.4?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Matt Vander Werf
> HPC System Administrator
> University of Notre Dame
> Center for Research Computing - Union Station
> 506 W. South Street
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=506+W.+South+Street+South+Bend,+IN+46601&entry=gmail&source=g>
> South Bend, IN 46601
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=506+W.+South+Street+South+Bend,+IN+46601&entry=gmail&source=g>
> Phone: (574) 631-0692
>
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Gary Gatling <gsgat...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Ok. This gets weirder. Any directory under /afs says Not a directory. But
>> I can read files like
>>
>> /afs/eos.ncsu.edu/software/inventory/software_inventory
>>
>> just fine.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:55 AM, Gary Gatling <gsgat...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't get a kernel panic but instead I get:
>>>
>>> [gsgatlin@localhost ~]$ ls /afs/
>>> ls: reading directory /afs/: Not a directory
>>> [gsgatlin@localhost ~]$
>>>

>>> which is pretty weird. I don't see anything in the syslog about problems
>>> with openafs
>>>
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost systemd: Starting OpenAFS Client Service...
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost kernel: libafs: loading out-of-tree module
>>> taints kernel.
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost kernel: libafs: module license '
>>> http://www.openafs.org/dl/license10.html' taints kernel.
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel
>>> taint
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost kernel: libafs: module verification failed:
>>> signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost kernel: Key type afs_pag registered
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost kernel: enabling dynamically allocated vcaches
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost kernel: Starting AFS cache scan...Memory
>>> cache: Allocating 1600 dcache entries...found 0 non-empty cache files (0%).
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost afsd: afsd: All AFS daemons started.
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost afsd: afsd: All AFS daemons started.
>>> Feb  1 10:44:24 localhost systemd: Started OpenAFS Client Service.
>>>
>>> I am using openafs-1.6.22
>>>

>>> with
>>>
>>> correct-m4-conditionals-in-curses.m4.patch
>>> linux-test-for-vfswrite-rather-than-vfsread.patch