On 15-09-2002 11:26, "Karsten Hilbert" <Karsten.Hilbert at gmx.net> wrote:

> 1) How do I know that the passphrase I typed in to be used for
> the secret key is used to sign what I see on screen and
> nothing else ?

Because a special secure device does all the encrypting.
After having inserted the Health professional Card

> 2) How does the court know that a signed screenshot was
>  actually shown on screen and not just fabricated and never
>  shown ? (It is my responsibility to _inspect_ what is being
>  shown but I cannot prove that signed "screenshots" were
>  actually displayed (on current-day systems).

Because the secure device is able to place the information on the screen.

Having a screenshot provides a richer picture than a set of bits and bytes
down deep in the database.

> This isn't about 100% proof, this is about level of trust,
> feasability, deniability and due process. Even with signing
> screenshots.

True.
I'll have more confidence in a message displayed on a screen than bits and
bytes in a distributed database in an Health Information Infrastructure

> Or did I miss something ?
>
> Since it is my responsiblity to carefully inspect the
> on-screen information I could just as well extend that view to
> that it is my responsibility to use a system that I can trust
> to show me what is actually in the database. Thusly I could
> just as well sign database content. Gerard himself remarked
> that we cannot sign that anyone actually reviewed any
> information, only that it was made available. The latter can
> be at the level of a screenshot - or at the level of database
> content. After all it is my responsibility to inform myself
> no matter where I get the information from. Say, I am using an
> SQL shell and sign screenshots of my queries. Does this mean I
> am not liable for the anaphylactic reaction just because I
> didn't do the query for the known penicillin allergy ?!?
> Obviously not, although I understand your position to be: "It
> hasn't been shown to me hence I am not to blame." What other
> purpose might a signed screenshot server ? To shift blame to
> the EHR software manufacturer ?

The whole thing has to do with liability and legal proof.

If next to the information in a database the style sheet used to display is
stored, it is possibly good enough for legal proofs.

> Lastly, one simple question. How does TNO propose to handle
> the audit trail of signed screenshots simply in terms of
> storage requirements ?

This is a simple problem.
Now every year one hospital needs 1 kilometre of shelf space.

Have you ever compressed XML documents?
Have you ever looked at diskspace and prices?

>> Making a hash of a screen dump indicates: This is the information as I saw
>> it on a screen and take responsibility for it by signing.
> Nah, I doubt you really believe in the coherency of this
> statement. A screendump merely shows what a screen _may_ have
> looked like.

I think it is fully coherent.

Yes. But systems that have been certified will have a perfect screendump.
This is something that can be tested easily.

To proof that in a distributed environment all informationsystems worked
100% is much more difficult?
Right? Or wrong?

Gerard

> Karsten Hilbert