On 16-09-2002 03:03, "Thomas Beale" <thomas at deepthought.com.au> wrote:

> I think this is a good overall comment. To which I'll add that what
> needs to be shown to have been understood in court are simple clinical
> or other facts, in the form of propositions, not screen bit patterns. In
> court, it will nee to be shown that that clinician understood fact A, B
> and C before attesting the addition to the EHR. Screen shots are not the
> way to do this. I suggest that a "standardised XML rendition" of the EHR
> entries in question are the way to go.
>
> Also, we should be careful to differentiate between "attestation" - the
> act of the clinician agreeing that he/she has in fact seen and
> understood what is on the screen be fore committing it to the EHR, and
> "signing" which is an attestation that some lump of content was created
> by a certain person, and not someone else. I don't think "signing"
> guarantees anything about comprehension, just that a particular stream
> of bytes emanated from a source which is positively identified as "Dr
> so-and-so".

Slowly we are making progress.
I agree that there are several reasons to sign and possibly we need ways to
indicate this.
I agree that there are several contexts. The lonely healthcare provider on
his IT island, the one that exchanges information with a few other
colleagues, the healthcare providers that are part of a complex network for
the exchange of messages, the ones that are part of an higly integrated
system of systems. The more complex the more detail has to be stored
explicitly.
I agree that 'screenshots', 'pictures' can be engineered in several ways.
The most likely candidate is XML-document and XML-stylesheet. But perhaps
there are others.

Gerard

Ps: sorry for having an extemist view.

--  <private> --