Hi all,

My thoughts on this is so far our experience with templates are mostly
related to screen forms and GUI widgets. It's probably easiest to relate to
screens when engage clinicians for templates reviewing, hence the need for
visual presentation of templates from the NHS work.

We also want to reuse the semantics in templates to generate messages,
reports etc. The question is how much 'generic' semantics can be reused from
the templates built for specific purpose - screen templates, message
templates and report templates. Surely the content for all types of
templates will be quite different and we probably would like to have special
syntax to support GUI hints, but do we need special syntax to support other
uses? How about indicators for decision support, clinical research data and
information lifecycle management?

I am thinking about an extendable markup language that can be plugged into
the core template language as a way to add extensions to templates if there
is any application specific meta-data required. I am also in favour of the
idea to store these extra meta-data inside the templates to ease the
maintenance. When passing these templates around, the template engines can
ignore the extended markup and only process the standard part if they don't
recognize the extended syntax.

Something like

<gui_markup_plugin>
    <hide_in_GUI path="..."/>