From: openehr-technical-boun...@openehr.org
[mailto:openehr-technical-bounces at openehr.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Beale
Sent: Friday, 8 April 2011 1:11 AM
To: openehr-technical at openehr.org
Subject: Re: openEHR artifact namespace identifiers

Oids probably are the one kind of id I would not propose for archetypes; the
multi-axial id in current use + the proposed namespace id is equivalent to
an Oid, just with some more constrained rules on what is on the axes, and
readable values. The need for a highly managed id assignment system plus
loss of readability and inferencing capability seems like a backward step to
me. UUIDs seem a more obvious step. Note that UUIDs don't cope properly with
namespaces nor versions, and there are already id systems that assign a UUID
to the 'artefact' and a second UUID to the version, so that it can be
inferred if two concrete artefact instances are really just versions of the
same thing. Note that a UUID is massive overkill for a version id of
something! But this just shows that simple assignment of UUIDs or Oids is no
panacea....

- thomas