Source file class in a program language have names and in the cases of COM
they have an ID such as a GUID.  The issue here is related to the later, not
the former.

More than happy with a GUID, in fact our knowledge resource repository does
exactly what David Moner proposed, it assigns a resource ID (GUID) and
maintains a version tree ID.

Really I don't see the difference between a GUID and OID, as you say
elsewhere, they are just strings.  It is just the process used to create the
string that differs and when we start introducing governance with publishing
organisations, having an OID root for the publishing organisation and an
extension for each artefact generated by a repository system aligns so
nicely with the OID approach I can't understand why we so easily blow this
option off.

Once we have a reliable UID of some kind we can generate URIs.  The
alternative of generating a composite UID from meta data sounds complicated,
contentious, unreliable and frankly worse than the same kind of issues you
have with OIDs.

Heath