Thomas,

All are Units of a different kind.

SI defines: Units of Measure, and Units of Quantity in the scientific domain.

There are also Units of Time: minute, hour, etc.

When I think of tablets, capsule, etc. we will call these Units of Medicinal
Product Dose.
Isn’t in UCUM this an example of Arbitrary Units?
 <>3.2
ARBITRARY UNITS
 <>§24 arbitrary units       ■1 Arbitrary or procedure defined units are units
whose meaning entirely depends on the measurement procedure (assay). These
units have no general meaning in relation with any other unit in the SI.
Therefore those arbitrary semantic entities are called arbitrary units, as
opposed to proper units. The set of arbitrary units is denoted A, where A∩ U =
{}.   ■2 An arbitrary unit has no further definition in the semantic framework
of The Unified Code for Units of Measure  ■3 Arbitrary units are not “of any
specific dimension” and are not “commensurable with” any other unit.

Until version 1.6 The Unified Code for Units of Measure has dealt with
arbitrary units as dimensionless, but as an effect the semantics of The Unified
Code for Units of Measure made all arbitrary units commensurable. Since version
1.7 of The Unified Code for Units of Measure it is no longer possible to
convert or compare arbitrary units with any other arbitrary unit.

 <>§25 operations on arbitrary units       ■1 Any term involving arbitrary
units, is itself an arbitrary unit and is not comparable with any other
arbitrary unit or term.

 <>§26 definition of arbitrary units       ■1 Arbitrary units are marked in the
definition tables for unit atoms by a bullet (‘•’) in the column titled “value”
and a bullet in the column titled “definition”.

Gerard Freriks
+31 620347088
gf...@luna.nl <mailto:gf...@luna.nl>