Hi Thomas,

In the UK (and ? Aus/NZ), we would not use arbitrary units in UCUM for dose
units because the latter are expressed as SNOMED terms, and are used in
conjunction with the SNOMED-based dm+d (or AMT) drug dictionary to compute
actual doses/amounts where possible.

e.g.

318421004 | Atenolol 100mg tablets |

via dm+d allows us to infer that 1 tab (in this case) = 100mg

http://dmd.medicines.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?VMP=318421004&toc=nofloat

and allows us to do maximum daily dose calculation, at least against a
defined subset of such 'dose units'.

in other cases the dose unit strength will be defined as part of the
medication order - we have a 'Strength' element in the medication order
archetype for just such a purpose.

I don't think we need to be able to define the unit strength as part of the
quantity datatype.

Ian

Dr Ian McNicoll
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859