From: openEHR-technical [mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@lists.openehr.org] On
Behalf Of Philippe Ameline
Sent: den 13 mars 2018 21:54
To: openehr-technical@lists.openehr.org
Subject: Re: [Troll] Terminology bindings ... again

Le 13/03/2018 à 18:01, Bert Verhees a écrit :

> On 13-03-18 17:45, Philippe Ameline wrote:
>> in my own terms, it means that it is not the proper component for
>> modern applications.
>
> Wasn't it Voltaire who said that the best is the enemy of the good?

Bert, I get your point and I can perfectly understand that if Snomed can get
used to do what you need done, you are plainly entitled to use it, even if "not
perfect".

But the issue could be stated differently: we are living a very specific moment
since, at the same time, we become part of a genuine information society AND
are engaged in a turn from acute to chronic care.
It means that we should all be trashing the "good old systems" and dedicate
ourselves to building risk management systems that allow multidisciplinary
teams to manage patients' health journeys over time.

Do you think that HL7 and Snomed are the proper components for this kind of
innovation or that they are stuck in the ancient world?
Do you think that using endemic technologies (components that only exist in the
medical domain) can be of any use when it comes to health...
that's to say operating in person's "bio-psycho-social bubble", a place where
education, employment, social issues are as important as medical information,
and are all plain contributors to risk management?

It is not about "good" versus "perfect", but about having a whole domain (and
its practitioners) get stuck in a dead arm of the information society.

Best,

Philippe