Bert,

The main reason I mentioned the [Troll] hashtag was because I am really
conscious that what I say is far from being mainstream. Hence I consider
myself honored that some of the things I say can "rock the boat" a
little bit and raise several questions.

To tell it roughly, I consider that practitioners are missing two
crucial turns: they are disconnected from the information society (for
several reasons, medical confidentiality of course, but also because MD
keep seeing information systems as "back office" components, also
because they are often individualists very at ease in silos (practice
and specialty)) and they are still fully organized for acute care (to
put it simply, the medical system is fully upside down and the GP should
become an orchestra conductor (what she often dreams she already is) but
is stuck in the one-man band role).

It could make sense to consider that the first lock (the dead branch of
the information society flow) controls the second lock (missing the
chronic care turn). This for many reasons:
- chronic care means managing risk over a long span of time,
- chronic care means genuine team work around a given person (not the
fixed team "inside the same box" but the dynamic team of the
contributors around a given individual).

Translated in technological concepts, my own take is that is means
switching:
- from a record oriented vision to a project management vision (a record
is the place where you optimize your own decision support ability
through keeping the signal/noise ratio as high as possible ; a project
manager is the place where people build/feed/contribute to a set of
shared processes).
- from a "care places centered" system (the patient moves from silo to
silo, from record to record) to a system "federated by the person"
environment. To put it simply, it is a genuine Copernican revolution
where individual, instead of having siloed information stored about
themselves in every "box" they cross, would own a system in support of
their life long holistic vision and ask their services providers to
contribute to it (means to join a team).

The most important point to consider here is that, when considering the
person's bubble, it is really mandatory to be plainly holistic, that's
to say to consider health as a project among many other projects
(education, employment, social issues, ordinary life projects, etc). It
is a place where the term "patient" is prohibited.

Finally, to answer your question about "HL7 and Snomed", I see these two
components as symptoms of the "medical information plague": they are
fully endemic, they are over-complex and prevent innovation (once you
have invested 5 years understanding it, your startup is already dead).
To make it short, as some claim that maize killed the Maya civilization
because it demanded too much energy to grow, I claim that these systems
are killing health systems because they keep them stuck in an ancient
vision of health.

Feel very free to consider this assertion as coming from the edge.
Besides, even if I know HL7 and Snomed rather well, I perfectly may miss
some points... however, I really hope that, contrary to what you wrote,
they are not "the technology for the coming decades" ;-)

Best,

Philippe