The easiest way to think about this question is: if someone trashed the Folder structure, could we (some admin app) rebuild it? The answer is interesting. It should normally be possible to rebuild the Folder / Composition association structure (it's not containment, just referencing), but of course, if you stored other information in the Folders, for example in the recently SEC-approved other_details structure, then you would lose that.

So the Folder approach does two things:

 * represents a pre-built query result (the Folder/Composition
   associations) - giving instant access, and avoiding having to
   construct the query, which is usually somewhat messy.
 * allows other information to be stored directly about the thing the
   Folder represents, e.g. admission / stay in a facility.

- thomas