Will Ross wrote:
> nandalal,
>
> from the perspective of a simple discussion at a face to face
> meeting, this is what is happening:
>
> "we have a motion and a second to approve the 1.0 draft of the
> constitution.   is there any further discussion?"

Although there was at least a two week opportunity to comment on the
draft constitution prior to the meeting, with several messages from
Molly reminding us of this fact.

> as a responsible member of the community i first evaluate whether or
> not it makes sense to initiate further discussion.   deciding that it
> makes sense to raise the objection, i ask for the floor and state my
> concern so that my concern is noted as part of the process, even if i
> have every confidence that the motion will pass over my further
> discussion.

Will, what *is* your concern with the constitution? I don't recall
seeing it set out in any of your various posts in the last few days on
the process for the inaugural meeting?

> then, the chair receives a motion to close the discussion, which is
> seconded and passed.
>
> does this "disrupt the process" or is it a legitimate part of the
> process?   you decide.

No, you have not done anything wrong. I agree that the process may be a
bit confusing. In retrospect, I think the problem has been that the act
of voting for the resolutions and the act of applying for foundation
membership have been rolled into a single process. Arguably it would
have been better to separate them.

In a face-to-face Inaugural Meeting:

(0) Prior to the inaugural meeting, some form of discussion forum would
be convened to draft a proposed constitution and nominate initial protem
office bearers.

(1) At the inaugural meeting, some speeches would be made and some
time-limited discussion of the resolutions and constitution would be
allowed, then votes would be taken on the resolutions to form the
organisation with the proposed constitution and officers, and if there
were sufficient yeah votes, formation of the organisation could then
proceed. I understand that at least seven people are required before an
organisation can be registered in Malaysia.

(2) If the resolutions were successful (that is the minimum number of
yeah votes were received), then an invitation is issued to join the
nascent organisation as founding members. An absolutely typical
requirement for membership is that the prospective member; a) agrees
with the goals of the organisation; and b) that the member agrees to
abide by the constitution, rules and regulations of the organisation (in
the case of OSHCA, there is only a constitution). Note that members do
NOT have to agree with every last word of the constitution, but they
must agree to abide by it. That is analogous with national or state law
- I don't agree with many of the laws of Australia, but I accept that as
a citizen and resident of Australia I must abide by them (often
grudgingly, but I still do so). I also accept that I can try to change
those laws with which I don't agree through a range of activities, from
lobbying political representatives through to direct participation in
the political process.

The proposed OSHCA constitutions says:

"5.1 Membership
shall be open to persons interested in furthering the objects of
OSHCA and shall consist of anyone who has accepted the premise of
OSHCA’s Vision, Mission Statements and Principles by indicating such
acceptance via OSHCA’s Internet Registration process."

Also implicit in Section 7.4 are the provisions that members must
*abide* by the constitution and not bring the organisation into disrepute.

Nowhere does it say that members must agree with every last provision or
letter of the constitution, just that they must abide by it. Members
must, however, accept the OSHCA vision, mission statement and principles.

(3) The minutes of the inaugural meeting, the constitution and other
documents, the details of the initial office bearers and protem
committee, and the details of all the founding members would then be
submitted to the relevant national or state authority to allow the
organisation to be formally registered.

(4) Subsequent meetings would be called to organise elections after as
suitable brief delay (to allow more members to join after some promotion
and publicity about the organisation) for committee/board members and
office bearers, and if members desire it, for modifications to the
constitution. Non-members can lobby members to initiate or vote for
motions to change the constitution, but can't do so themselves.

It is fairly easy to see how the steps taken to found OSHCA as a formal
organisation are analogous to the steps set out above, with the
exception that the process of voting for or against the resolutions and
the process of applying for membership have been conflated.

I think that this collective mistake can be easily remedied by inviting
a second round of founding membership applications using a form which
makes the conditions for membership crystal clear. I think this can be
done in the next day or so, since the planned date for submission of
documents to the Malaysian authorities is not until 2nd May. If not,
then people can still apply for membership prior to the first
post-registration meeting. There are no special privileges or rights
conferred by being a "founding" member, so joining as part of the
inaugural meeting or joining after it but before the next meeting are
functionally equivalent.

So, there is no compulsion to vote "yes" to all the resolutions.
Obviously if you vote "no" tot he resolution that OSHCA form as a
formally registered society, then you are unlikely to want to become a
member of such as society. With respect to the constitution, please note
that the resolution on which you are asked to vote says:

"Constitution
A draft constitution, based on the 'Model Society Constitution' supplied
by the Office of the Registrar of Societies, was tabled by the Protem
Committee for discussion and adoption.
1.6 It was resolved that:- The Constitution, as discussed, amended and
to be attached to the minutes of this Inaugural Meeting, be presented in
full for signing by two Office Bearers of OSHCA for submission to the
Registrar of Societies."

Thus you are not asked to indicate that you agree with the every last
aspect of the constitution, merely that it is good enough for submission
tot he Registrar of Societies in Malaysia. It is a subtle but important
distinction.

I hope that the foregoing clarifies things a bit. Collective apologies
for any confusion caused by the process, but as Nandalal said, none of
us have (successfully) organised a formally registered society via
virtual meetings previously, and processes which would be clear or
easily explained in a face-to-face meeting can appear rather opaque
through the fog of asynchronous email.

Tim C