On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 19:47 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> Why is there even a number appended?
>
> Just let whoever defines the name define it however they want,
> and insist only that it be unique.
>
> That will get rid of lots of possible errors inthe code...

Well, the code in question supports '{driver/controller}_name[.num]'
style names (which I added in my original patch).  Arbitrary names (such
as 'foo.flash') came after I added the required member to the
bank/device structures, and I thought to myself: "hey, look -- it will
be easy to support both styles."  It remains to be seen if I was right,
or whether it's worth having both.

--Z