On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:

Nicolas Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jörg seems to want the ARC and c-teams to use a different method than
they use today for deciding when some utility (or library, or whatever)
name is a conflict with another existing one.

I recommend that Jörg make a proposal for such a change without making
such a proposal specific to his troubles with star, compare, etc...

I'm not sure that we can come up with such a method that will: a) allow
OpenSolaris to evolve and grow, while b) preventing any conflicts with

As long as it it impossible to implement the arc decisions in OpenSolaris,
OpenSolaris cannot evolve.

Even a casual observer of the on-going technical behavior on opensolaris.org can clearly see the ARC decision making and implementation are alive and healthy.

You have to verify that the way it is currently handled actually works.

Go ahead and download Nevada Build 77 and I think you'll agree that it works! Thats all the 'verification' you need!

My impression is that it is either impossible to integrate stuff at all
or that some people inside Sun boycott the integration of star. If you

Joerg - you're full of krap. The integration of ksh93 *proves* that integration is not only possible, but is IMPOSSIBLE to prevent. Look at the internal (within Sun) bickering that kept ksh93 from being integrated for years. And look at how much *disruption* the integration of ksh93 caused - because it touches on so many kernel related features/facilities .... and yet *it* *was* *successfully* *integrated* by Roland Mainz - an OpenSolaris contributor and non-Sun employee. Thus - your arguments are without merit.

would ask me now, I could only say "it does not work".

On the contrary - ksh93 proves that it *does* *work*.

Think about how to find a way to change this....

Why change anything?  Download build 77 and type:

exec ksh93 -o vi

at the command line.  It works.  "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

Regards,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Apr 2005 to Mar 2007
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/ogb_2005-2007/
Graduate from "sugar-coating school"?  Sorry - I never attended! :)