mysticaldem...@xrgrid.com wrote:
> ...  I personally see at least 4 UI
> implementations that are needed, 1) web based light weight.  2) Mobile,
> maybe no 3D.  3. Typical user.  4. Power user or designer.

"no 3D"  That's an interesting idea.  At first it seems that having 3D
would be essential, but if the server were to render a 2-1/2 D image
from a fixed angle, then that image could easily be streamed to a web
browser or mobile device for all avatars on the sim.  The client could
center the image on its avatar to give the proper viewpoint or the
server could do the clipping before sending to each client. You'd still
have to worry about occlusion of avatars by objects (I can't see
myself!), so perhaps four streams could be generated from the four
compass directions so that the user could choose among the four
viewpoints.  This wouldn't be a complete solution because it wouldn't
handle avatars inside buildings, but with a bit of thought, something
could be worked out.

Obviously, you wouldn't get the same experience as with 3D, but that
shouldn't be the goal.  The goal should be collaboration and social
interaction.  Facebook doesn't have 3D, but it does alright in that respect.

Mike