On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 02:54:30AM +0000, joehuang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard the one platform vision in OpenStack now and then: One platform for
> virtual machines, containers and bare metal.
>
> I also learned that there are some groups working on making Kubernets being
> able to manage virtual machines. Except running containers in virtual
> machine, there is also the need for running containers in bare metal.
>
> There are several projects connecting OpenStack to container world: Zun,
> Magnum, Kuryr, Fuxi... Projects to deal with bare metal like Ironic, Morgan,
>
> Can all these efforts lead us to one platform vision? We have to think over
> the question.
>
> What's the one platform will be in your own words? What's your proposal and
> your focus to help one platform vision being achieved?

I can't claim to have a proposal to get us there. I do think it is something
that will require plenty more discussion and a whole lot of collaboration.

There is certainly overlap is the goals of these efforts. I think it all
comes down to giving the end user the ability to run their workload in the
cloud without requiring (or at least minimizing as much as possible) the
knowledge they need to know about the specific platform implementation.

I think the best way we can get closer to this goal is related to one of the
points I brought up in my candidacy message. I think we need to be open to
collaborating with other open source projects outside of OpenStack to come
up with the best solutions, and to make sure that these parallel or
complementary solutions can work well together.