Hi,

Though I haven’t attended the operator summit in person a them which has been
mentioned to me is that we need to offer better reference architectures. I use
the plural here on purpose because I don’t think there will be one
architecture/combination of projects which works for everybody. As a community
(and the TC can help) we should write up guides for reference architectures for
containers, vms, and bare metal. But we  don’t need to offer just one project –
there are a couple of ways to get there and we should offer choice. But we owe
it to the operators that we have tested whatever we write up at some scale.

The second meaning for a “one platform” vision would be a unified API for
Containers, VMs, and bare metal. I have talked to several people who would like
to write software which doesn’t need to distinguish between different APIs to
accomplish that. But I still feel that we should adhere to the Unix philosophy
and make the best API for each technology and then have the orchestration
platform or higher level abstractions (e.g. cloud native) worry about it.

This leads me to one of my gripes with the way we work. We sort of accepted
that it is the projects responsibility to write tests and documentation but
when it comes who is writing the Heat integration, the Open Stack Ansible part,
or the Gophercloud part – things get real murky. I don’t iike to add another
burden to some of the small projects but we also need to figure out a way that
those things are current and compete. I am hoping that having reference
architectures can guide us in this regard and I think we need to add more
visibility what those solution supports and where the gaps are.

Thanks,
German